Thursday, July 17, 2008

Baseball According to Trina



July 17, 2008

When someone mentions summer to me the first thing that comes to mind is BASEBALL. Probably due to the fact that for the past 10 years from early April to some time in August that's where I have found my entertainment. This would go back to when I gave birth to a boy and his first word was not mama or dada by BALL. Well last night ended one era of his baseball career, that would be Baberuth Baseball. As I woke up this morning and realized I didn't have a game to go to the loss finally sunk in. Not the same sinking feeling I'm sure Riley experienced but the loss a mother feels.
First thought, how sad it will be to not have the opportunity to soak those nice WHITE baseball pants in the sink after I have scrubbed them for 30 minutes, then I realized the beautiful red sand would no longer linger from the garage to the upstairs bathroom. Then the second thought entered my mind, what would we have for dinner (no hamburger or hotdog at the baseball field), I might serioulsy have to cook dinner again. Well then the real stuff entered my brain, I wouldn't have my group of friends, which by the way became just like family, sitting around me night after night, telling jokes, laughing, cheering and yes we admit a little yelling at the umps (but just a little). This group of friends all have something in common, we all have a son who loves baseball and we support everyone of them. This group of friends who answer to 'mom' no matter which 'son' yelled it out because we love them all. So I thank all of you baseball moms for cheering and loving Riley like he was your own.
Here's my recap of what I have learned about baseball over the past ten years, or Baseball according to Trina. I have learned when a fast pitch is coming or a curve ball , I have learned why it is important to take the first pitch, I have learned the thrill of a squeeze play, of steeling bases, and an unexpected homerun. I have experienced the joy of winning a really close game and the sorrow when you lose. I have learned the most important part of baseball is to make it home safely and I guess that's why this mother loves the game so much. I can totally relate to most of the rules, I think they must have been written in Heaven. I can only imagine what the baseball fields look like up there. Now when someone says summer to me and I think of baseball, let me tell you there is no better place to be on summer night than sitting under the lights surrounded by family and freinds watching a great game of baseball, especially if your a mother of player. I know it's just a game but as David Noyce once wrote, "Baseball is motivating and liberating. It shows us how to work, how to play and how to rest. It teaches responsibility and resilience. It showcases the beauty of diversity and the necessity of adversity. It is inspired and inspiring. Not bad for something that's just a game."

2 comments:

Ellen Irion said...

welcome to the blog world trina :) very true, not bad for just a game

abbey* said...

TRINA! Happiness, you have a blog. Your first blog really moved me. I might have to alter my attitude about baseball. Reading it made me miss you though.LOVE YOU! so so so much. You haven't called me yet, and i'm sure you've had a free minute. So give me a call when your next free minute comes.